I use my intensive training, intuition, and relationship with the natural world to formulate personalized herbal blends for physical, emotional, and spiritual healing. Health is a journey and I serve as an intermediary between the healing properties of the natural world and the needs of my client to allow the path to begin.


Contact me at UnderRootHealing@gmail.com or 617-733-6872. I am available for one on one consultations in person or on the phone.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Struggles with Sleep: Herbs to Guide You To a Restful Slumber

It's time for bed so you snuggle up with the blankets and wait for sleep to come, but for some reason you just can't get to sleep. You toss and turn, unable to let your body relax into a restful sleep. You can't stop worrying about paying bills on time or you can't forget that little insult someone said. Perhaps you simply feel anxious but don't know why. You're too tired to sleep. You just can't keep your eyes shut, they just keep bouncing open. So...why not have some tea to help bring on a deep and restful slumber!

It is good to prepare for bed time. Avoid things that might get your adrenaline going. Allow the 1 or 2 hours leading up to your bedtime be relaxing. Try to put aside your worries from the day. Do some very gentle stretches or yoga, do breathing exercises, meditate for a few minutes...then make yourself a nice cup of herbal tea!

Here is a list of some beneficial herbs to help you sleep:

Chamomile:

There is a good reason chamomile is such a popular herb for relaxation and sleep! It helps soothe any discomfort from digestion, has a subtle affect detoxing the liver, and brings on a sense of relaxation. Chamomile is specific for someone who feels a bit fussy or moody. I have heard it described as the herb “for the child in all of us.”

Valerian:

Valerian is a very popular herb for those who need a sleep aid, particularly for those experiencing insomnia. You would use the root of valerian as a tea or tincture. However, valerian isn't for everyone. It makes about 75 – 90% of people sleepy, but the other percentage will experience the total opposite affect and feel quite jittery and buzzed from valerian. An herbalist can test the herb on you, or you can try it out and see how you react.

Passionflower:

If you are someone that can't stop cycling the same thoughts again and again, then passionflower isyour herb. It is a very relaxing herb that helps to quiet the anxious mind that just won't let go. This herb has been a dear friend on many sleepless night and during anxious times!

Skullcap:

Skullcap is another favorite herb of mine. Skullcap relaxes the body, particularly in the gut and heart area. It helps you let go of the kind of tension where you feel a pit in your stomach or tension in your chest. I have found it a great herb for letting go of anger. It has a nice action on the liver, which is where we often store anger in our bodies.

Wild Lettuce and Hops:

Wild lettuce and hops are both very powerful sedatives. Wild lettuce can be taken as a tea or tincture. I most like to use hops in an herbal pillow. It is a wonderful way to be lulled to sleep. However, hops are highly estrogenic which means they could be more stimulating to women. I once took a tincture both hops and wild lettuce in the formula and could barely muster the energy to stand afterwards!

Ashwagandha:

If you are someone that tends to stay up very late and wake late, then perhaps you need an herb that can help get your circadian rhythms balanced again. Ashwagandha is a root that not only soothes the nerves, but also nourished the endocrine system. You can take the root as a powder sprinkled in smoothies or food, capsule, tea, or tincture.

Mugwort:

Mugwort is an herb that is somewhat magical. Putting some mugwort leaves under your pillowor taking the tea or tincture will bring you into a dream state. Whenever I put the leaves under my pillow, I have very wild and vivid dreams. It seems to be a plant that brings subconscious messages to people.

There are multitudes of other herbs that could help you get to sleep: lavender, licorice, blue vervain, motherwort, linden, milky oats, lemon balm, etc, etc. It is hard to narrow it down to pick out just a few favorites!

Here is my favorite tea to make when I am having a sleepless night:

2 parts skullcap

1 part valerian

1 part chamomile

½ part licorice

½ part lavender

Allow to steep in water that is just shy of boiling. Cover while the tea is steeping. Allow to infuse for about 15-20 minutes. Sip and enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Remedies for treating insomnia are innumerable but relying on the power of herbs is the best method, as it is natural and safe. These herbs are quite effective in alleviating tension and stress. It helps to keep your mind calm and relaxed. Thanks for sharing these useful post.

    Herbs For Anxiety

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calvert, I couldn't agree more. Just this month I have been struggling with a bout of sleeplessness. When I have been going to bed I still feel tense and my mind has kept listing off "to do" lists. About a week ago I started to regularly prepare the tea I mention in this post. Already I am seeing such a difference! I am going from staying up until 3 or 4am, to just last night was the first night in a long time I just fell asleep after some relaxing reading at about midnight. I plan on continuing to drink the tea so that I can get my bedtime somewhere between 10 and 11pm.

    ReplyDelete