I use my intensive training, intuition, and relationship with the natural world to formulate personalized herbal blends for physical, emotional, and spiritual healing. Health is a journey and I serve as an intermediary between the healing properties of the natural world and the needs of my client to allow the path to begin.


Contact me at UnderRootHealing@gmail.com or 617-733-6872. I am available for one on one consultations in person or on the phone.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Healing Herbs for Trans Folks

Herbs have this uncanny gift to balance and release in spaces where you didn't even know there was imbalance or tension. I have found this gift most appreciated in my experience as a trans person. For those that aren't familiar with the term, someone that identifies as transgender doesn't fit into the gender binary of male/female sexes. Transsexual tends to refer to someone who seeks hormones or some sort of altering process or treatment to appear as the gender he/she/they/ze feels. Transgender or trans is a broad term to refer to the great umbrella of gender diversity/deviation. Herbs can be such a great presence to feel more like present in your personal power and identity.

I have spent a lot of time researching this topic as it is near and dear to my heart. I have lots of information that I want to pass on, but perhaps too much for one blog post. I encourage you to email or contact me in some way if you have any questions!

There are a few great herbs that I have found very helpful through my own experience as a trans person. I will share these, but there are many more that are helpful and are safe to use while on hormones.

Milk Thistle Seed: If you are taking hormones as a trans guy or gal, milk thistle seed is a great herb to be taking. Milk Thistle protects liver cells from toxins and helps repair damaged liver tissue, which is helpful since being on hormones can be hard on the liver. It is not too over-detoxing and will not interfere with hormones in any way.

Dandelion Root and Blessed Thistle: Both of these are great liver herbs. Some people are cautious when on hormones about taking detoxifying liver herbs since there is some concern that it will lessen the effect of the hormones. I personally have not found this to be so, but it is important to do what feels right to you. Dandelion and Blessed Thistle are both wonderful as a detoxifiers, but in particular they are helpful in helping the body get rid of excess hormones, in particular excess estrogens that do not act as estrogen in the body but rather the estrogens that are toxic and the body aims to get rid of. When on hormones, either estrogen or testosterone, if there is an excess of hormones they often become toxic estrogens in the body. Dandelion and Blessed Thistle help flush these toxins from the liver. I have definitely felt healthier and more in balance when on either Dandelion or Blessed Thistle. I would not recommend being on both at the same time.

Burdock: Another herb that is helpful to the liver, it is also great at clearing up any skin issues including acne. If acne has become a problem since beginning hormones, than burdock may be a great help.

Sarsaparilla: As a liver herb and blood cleanser, this herb also helps the body flush excess toxic estrogens from the body. While Dandelion and Blessed Thistle focus on the liver, Sarsaparilla has a more dispersing nature. It combines well with liver herbs.

Red Clover: Red Clover is a great gently detoxifying herb that is full of nourishing vitamins and minerals. It will also benefit the skin if you are experiencing acne as a result of hormone treatment. It is very supportive to the lymphatic system, cleansing and detoxing your body. It encourages testosterone as it is an estrogen blocker. A wonderful hormone balancer whether you are on hormones or not. It is a very power anti-cancer herb. A great herb for everyday.

Nettles: It is hard to think of a situation where nettles wouldn't be healthy. As an herb that is full of tons of vitamins and minerals, this is a great herb to take everyday to nourish your body to enable it to function in the healthiest way possible. It benefits the kidneys and thyroid which can be taxed when taking hormones. Nettles also encourage healthy skin and hair.

Raspberry leaf: As someone that is female bodied and on hormones, I have loved using raspberry leaf. Raspberry leaf is super nourishing to all of the reproductive organs. This is really important especially if you are a trans guy on hormones. It does not interfere with hormones nor will it bring on your cycle. Even if you are not on hormones, it nourishes the lower belly chakra which is likely a place of tension in many trans people. I have definitely felt healthier and more in balance when consistently taking this herb.

Ashwagandha: This herb is part of a sort of unofficial class of herbs called adaptogens. Adaptogens across the board help you deal with stress, enhance your immune system, nourish your adrenals, and often assist digestion. Ashwagandha in particular is very nourishing to the thyroid and helps balance hormones. Other adaptogens include eleuthero (siberian ginseng), tulsi (holy basil), schizandra, reishi, maca, and ginseng.

Nervines: Anyone who is trans may also experience stress or anxiety around being deviant from gender norms. Herbs such as milky oats, passionflower, skullcap, california poppy, motherwort, rose petals, linden, and lemon balm.

Herbs to avoid

Emmenagogues are herbs which bring on your period. If you are on hormones and would like to discontinue your period then I would recommend not taking these herbs. However if you are not on hormones but dislike your monthly cycle, I actually would recommend taking emmenagogues since they can help balance your cycle and reduce PMS symptoms.

Emmenagogues include: Dong quai, mugwort, angelica, black cohash, blue cohash.

Kava Kava

St. John's Wort – If you are taking hormones then you should avoid taking St. John's Wort internally. It is such a powerful liver cleanser that it will cleanse any hormones you might be on. It is fine to use St. John's Wort oil externally.

Flower Essences

Flower essences are the energetic footprint of the spirit of the plant. They do not include the physical properties of the herb so there is absolutely no concern about combining them with hormones if you are on them. Here are a few flower essences I have found especially helpful.

Larch: encourages self love and self care. Helps boost self confidence.

St John's Wort: helpful when feeling anxious, unsafe. Strengthens one's boundaries and allows your inner light and strength to radiate. Very protective.

Yarrow: great for ensuring strong boundaries. Helps ground you in your inner strength.

Aspen: Calms and alleviates fear in the face of the unknown.

Eastern Hemlock: Helps guide you through transformation.

Calla Lilly: Helpful in clarifying sexual identity, balancing to male and female energies.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information. I found it very informative as I have been researching a lot lately on practical matters such as you talk about..new roots liver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr ehiaguna herpes treatment is one of the most effective home remedies for herpes which has the ability to kill the herpes virus permanently. I found out I had herpes 4 years ago. My first outbreak was definitely the worst thing I ever experienced. The bumps and blisters were swollen and red. I had a doctor give me Valtrex but I take the generic. I had to take the Valtrex 1 gram a day for about a week and I had another doctor prescribe me Acyclovir but that gave me the worst headaches ever, so I stopped taking it.after 2 year all that prove abortive the herpes was still there,
      Since I was first diagnosed I have about 2 outbreaks a month. I have been able to cope with this by having supportive family and friends who look out for me,though it wasn't easy for me, one day i read a post by someone testifying about Dr  ehiaguna that she was cured totally using his herbal product, i decided to gave it a try, I contacted him as instructed in the testimony. i made request for the herbal medicine, he actually did send it to me and gave me the instruction on how i will use it,
      The good news is this, i went to the hospital after the medication for test as instructed by Dr ehiaguna, i was tested negative, i was surprised finding out that am now herpes virus negative against my former result which was positive, Am happy to let the whole world know that today am free from this herpes disease,
      no more outbreak, no more cold sores, excruciating pains, i will advice anyone reading this message  and needed a cure for herpes as well should please contact this Great Dr ehiaguna on drehiaguna@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348073908953.  Dr  ehiaguna is truly gifted by God.  

      Delete
    2. I’m indeed very happy for the great help that Dr ehiaguna rendered to me,I was diagnosed with HSV 2 on July 7, 2018 and I have tried all possible means to get cure but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum concerning herbal doctor Dr ehiaguna, who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases/Infection including Herpes Simplex virus Type 2, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email: drehiaguna@gmail.com He assured me of a cure, he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me instructions on how to use it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly virus within 14 days of usage,he told me to go for a medical check up and i went for test, I couldn't believe i was negative and the HERPES VIRUS in my body got cured, I and my family are so happy and grateful to God for using Dr ehiaguna to Liberate me. Reach Out to this great herbal doctor via his email : drehiaguna@gmail.com you can also reach him on WhatsApp +2348073908953 God bless you

      Delete
  2. Dr ehiaguna herpes treatment is one of the most effective home remedies for herpes which has the ability to kill the herpes virus permanently. I found out I had herpes 4 years ago. My first outbreak was definitely the worst thing I ever experienced. The bumps and blisters were swollen and red. I had a doctor give me Valtrex but I take the generic. I had to take the Valtrex 1 gram a day for about a week and I had another doctor prescribe me Acyclovir but that gave me the worst headaches ever, so I stopped taking it.after 2 year all that prove abortive the herpes was still there,
    Since I was first diagnosed I have about 2 outbreaks a month. I have been able to cope with this by having supportive family and friends who look out for me,though it wasn't easy for me, one day i read a post by someone testifying about Dr  ehiaguna that she was cured totally using his herbal product, i decided to gave it a try, I contacted him as instructed in the testimony. i made request for the herbal medicine, he actually did send it to me and gave me the instruction on how i will use it,
    The good news is this, i went to the hospital after the medication for test as instructed by Dr ehiaguna, i was tested negative, i was surprised finding out that am now herpes virus negative against my former result which was positive, Am happy to let the whole world know that today am free from this herpes disease,
    no more outbreak, no more cold sores, excruciating pains, i will advice anyone reading this message  and needed a cure for herpes as well should please contact this Great Dr ehiaguna on drehiaguna@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348073908953.  Dr  ehiaguna is truly gifted by God.  

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m indeed very happy for the great help that Dr ehiaguna rendered to me,I was diagnosed with HSV 2 on July 7, 2018 and I have tried all possible means to get cure but all to no avail, until i saw a post in a health forum concerning herbal doctor Dr ehiaguna, who prepares herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases/Infection including Herpes Simplex virus Type 2, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal doctor via his email: drehiaguna@gmail.com He assured me of a cure, he prepared a herbal medicine and sent it to me via courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me instructions on how to use it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly virus within 14 days of usage,he told me to go for a medical check up and i went for test, I couldn't believe i was negative and the HERPES VIRUS in my body got cured, I and my family are so happy and grateful to God for using Dr ehiaguna to Liberate me. Reach Out to this great herbal doctor via his email : drehiaguna@gmail.com you can also reach him on WhatsApp +2348073908953 God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really happy that i have been cured from (HERPES) HSV1&2 DISEASE with the herbal medicine of DR. Ehimare have been suffering from this disease for a long time now without solution until i came across the email of this doctor who have cure so many people with his herbal medicine, i also choose to give him a chance to help me, he told me what to do and i kindly did it, and he gave me his herbal medicine and direct me on how to use it, i also follow his instructions for use and he ask me to go for a check up after 3 months which i did, to my greatest surprise my result came out as negative, i am really happy that there is someone like this doctor who is ready to help anytime any day. To all the readers and viewers that is doubting this testimony stop doubting it and contact this doctor if you have any disease and see if he will not actually help you. I know that there are some people out there who are really suffering and hurting their family just because of these diseases. you can get to him through email: drehimare3@gmail.com or WhatsApp him + 1 (267) 691-1087

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still cant believe that my herpes is gone after two years of suffering. Thanks to Dr Momoh who cured my herpes with his herbal medication I never thought I will ever be heal again, I was a herpes positive two years ago and I have try so many medication so I can be free of this dearly disease but nothing work out, so one day I go on a research on the internet where I saw someone given testimony on how Dr Momoh help him to cure his herpes virus with his herbal medication, so I said to myself it also the same problem am having so I have to also contact the herbal doctor Dr Momoh on his email which the man recommended to anyone who might also need his help, Wholeheartedly am so grateful to this man as he help me with the cure and make me a happy man again. Anyone out there who might be facing same problem should kindly contact Dr Momoh as is know he will help you with all your problems, contact him through his email dr.momoh9@gmail.com, call or WhatsApp him +2347083724098

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past one years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr Momoh and she also gave the email address: dr.momoh9@gmail.com of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. Momoh telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes, all over me as the doctor assured me that i have cured,after some time i went to my doctor, to confirmed, if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email:: dr.momoh9@mail.com or whatsApp his number on +2347083724098

    ReplyDelete
  7. HOW I GOT RID OF HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU

    I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes simplex Virus by a herbal Dr called ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how dr ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his what - sapp him via (+2348180828544) or email ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com and get all your problems solved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most of you still don't believe that herbal medicine can cure all diseases without any side effects ?? sure. I am finally free from herpes virus which my husband gave to me over 3 years now, I used doctor voodoo herbal medicine to cure it between 14 days everything is gone no side effects, please i will also advise you to link him now for your help dr voodoo I thought medical drugs can cure herpes virus but it only prevent to cure, but I believe on Dr. voodoo herbal medicine which I used to cure my herpes virus disease is gone now, any diseases you have, is it HIV, Cancer, Pcos, HPV, HSV type1, diabetes Herpes virus, asthma, lupus, fibroid, contact DR voodoo on Email at voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com That is how I was helped by him.Also WhatsApp him +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete