I use my intensive training, intuition, and relationship with the natural world to formulate personalized herbal blends for physical, emotional, and spiritual healing. Health is a journey and I serve as an intermediary between the healing properties of the natural world and the needs of my client to allow the path to begin.


Contact me at UnderRootHealing@gmail.com or 617-733-6872. I am available for one on one consultations in person or on the phone.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Surviving Holiday Belly: Nourishing the Digestive System


The Fourth of July has come and gone! And what a wonderful holiday I had! Complete with family time, canoeing, walks in the woods, pool time, fireworks, and lots and lots of food. Food can be a tough thing for me with family gatherings. My day to day diet is a bit different than
the usual person's and I have a rather sensitive stomach. It is not unusual for me to feel rather sick after eating out or eating at someone else's home. I just can't eat all the processed foods and non-organic foods anymore. I eat too many delicious, organic, healing foods and I can't go back (I'm rather happy to report!). I also can't tolerate a number of foods and there are a fair number of foods I avoid due to other health reasons, such as canola oil and many processed oils. But, I am so happy to say that I ate lots of holiday food (ribs, sausage, tortilla chips with cheese) and still felt ok!I have struggled for a number of months with some tummy trouble. Nothing too serious, but I have known I have some digestive imbalances. I cut out wheat and dairy and have felt much, much better! I also have been taking in a few wonderful digestive herbs that have made a huge difference in my digestive health!

In America, pretty nearly everyone could use some digestive healing. It is the nature of the diet that we follow in this country to cause a number of imbalances. We eat so much wheat, dairy, meat, and very few vegetables. All of this causes so much acidity in our systems, and in the end, inflammation, which can develop into serious conditions over time. I have certainly followed a standard American diet for much of my young life. It hasn't been until the last two - three years that I have begun to eat more foods that are full of nourishment and healing. I have found diet changes very helpful, but I have to say I have found the most powerful healing in herbs. I feel I have been able to revitalize my digestive system.

Here are just a small handful of the herbs I have found helpful in my healing process. These are herbs are quite versatile, helpful for slight imbalances such a nausea or also more serious conditions such as diverticulitis, colitis, IBS, Crohn's, gallstones, etc.:

Yellow Dock is wonderful at improving bile flow, detoxifying, and boosting the liver. Ithelps stimulate digestive juices, tone the intestines, and stimulate healthy bowel movements. It is a wonderful source of iron for those struggling with anemia. Yellow Dock reduces inflammation in the digestive system. Overall, a wonderful herb that has been incredibly helpful to me throughout my journey healing my digestion.

Dandelion stimulates bile flow and digestive juices, helps the liver, and is detoxifying. In particular it is helpful for any gallbladder imbalance, including gallstones. I used to experience some cramping in my gallbladder region, but after taking dandelion I no longer experience this.

Slippery Elm is the most soothing herb I have experienced. Something about it feels almost luxurious. Any sort of inflammation or irritation in the digestive system (or anywhere, really!) feels instantly soothed by this wonderful herb. Slippery Elm nourishes, soothes, and deeply relaxes the entire system, particularly in the stomach and intestinal area. It is wonderful for the nervous and irritated belly. As someone whose anxiety directly affects my digestion, slippery elm is definitely a favorite of mine!

Meadowsweet is a great herb for balancing the upper digestive process. It helps encourage digestive juices and enzymes as well as helps alkalize the system. It feels as though meadowsweet gently revitalizes the entire stomach region.

Gentian is deeply healing to the digestive system. Like other bitters, gentian is helpful to the liver, stimulates the flow of digestive juices and bile, and detoxifies the body. Gentian is among the bitterest of the bitter, so it is quite potent medicine. Its taste certainly makes it one that I like to combine with other tastier herbs! However, I find its taste brings my consciousness to my gut. I have found it helps bring my attention to what needs healing in my gut, as well as brings my attention to my gut instincts.

Chamomile is simply a fantastic herb! It is calming, soothing to the digestive system, and has some liver supporting action. It is beneficial in controlling diabetes and hyperglycemia. It is anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic, making it a great herb for many digestive imbalances. It has a very complex and wonderful taste which I love! In general, a great herb.

Healing digestion is not only important for the sake of a comfortable belly. Your digestive process if how you rid your body of toxins. If you can't get rid of toxins, then everything backs up and causes trouble for the rest of the body. Also, digestion has more meanings than the obvious physical process. We digest a good conversation, a great book, and important questions in our lives. If we can't digest our food, then we will struggle digesting these other things in life. Digestion allows us to take what nourishes us and put it to use and get rid of everything else. It is a very humble, everyday act of nurturing and purifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment