I use my intensive training, intuition, and relationship with the natural world to formulate personalized herbal blends for physical, emotional, and spiritual healing. Health is a journey and I serve as an intermediary between the healing properties of the natural world and the needs of my client to allow the path to begin.


Contact me at UnderRootHealing@gmail.com or 617-733-6872. I am available for one on one consultations in person or on the phone.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fighting Colds and Flu!

Last week I talked about good ways to nourish and build the immune system. This might reduce illness, but there is still a likely chance that you will get sick at some point this cold and flu season. So, here are some of my favorite herbs that will help you become healthy again quickly!

When I feel sickness coming on, the first thing I do is prepare a tincture with a formula of several herbs in a ½ ounce sized dropper bottle so that I can easily have it in my pocket at all times. I will take this formula up to once every 20 minutes and at least 3 times a day. I will take the formula from when I feel my illness coming on until I feel I am well over the sickness. My colds tend to have lots of congestion and post nasal drip which causes lots of sinus pressure and throat discomfort. So, I use a lot of herbs that will help reduce congestion.

Osha is one of my favorites against upper respiratory/sinus congestion, sore throat, and coughing. It is anti-microbial and stimulates the immune system. This herb is in nearly every formula I make against colds. It is also a warming herb which is perfect for those fall and winter colds.

Plantain is a great herb for drawing out congestion while soothing any irritation in the throat or upper respiratory tract. This is a great herb for thickly congested sinuses.

Sage is a great herb that helps with throat pain and is strongly anti-microbial. In general I look at this herb as a powerful harbinger wellness and health on many levels.

Mullein is one of my top favorite herbs. It helps move mucus and heal the lungs. This is a very gentle yet powerful herb suitable for when you are congested and also for when you have a deep cough that is really affecting the lungs.

Elecampane is wonderful for balancing mucus in the upper respiratory system. If you are dry and experiencing irritation or if you are super congested, elecampane will help balance your system to health.

I often add a very small amount of thyme to my tincture formulas because it is a very powerful anti-microbial. It's the herb I use to kill whatever microbes might be causing an illness.

I often add something a little soothing, such as anise, chamomile, or licorice to soothe an irritated throat.

When I feel illness coming on I also begin taking a tincture of echinacea. I take it separately from the other formula because I will take echinacea for three days in a row, and then I take a day off. This is a good practice because echinacea is a very powerful immune system stimulant. I want to stimulate my immune system enough to fight disease, but I don't want to over work it to the point that it tires out and becomes stressed. I take echinacea very frequently when sick, taking a dropperful up to every 20 minutes. I will also put echinacea in a ½ ounce dropper bottle to ensure I can always have it with me.

And, of course I take many of these herbs as hot teas. Nothing beats a wonderful cup of healing tea when sick. The tinctures are wonderful because it is easy to take the herbs frequently even while at work or going about your day. However, when you are getting sick what your body might be telling you is that you need to take time out, lay in bed, and take the time to make a nice cup of tea.

When I have difficulty sleeping due to congestion, I will take a tissue and add a few drops of some combination of eucalyptus, peppermint, rosemary, balsam fir, clove, and lemongrass to the tissue. I will place the tissue on or near my pillow so I can enjoy the wonderful mucus clearing effects of those herbs while sleeping.

When you have a flu then it is important to add some good herbs to deal with fever and body aches. Boneset is a wonderful herb that helps reduce fever and body aches. Definitely a favorite of mine. I would also recommend the combination of peppermint, yarrow, and elder flower. This is a very traditional herbal blend that is very effective against the flu. Last year I had a bad case of the flu and I prepared a bath with these herbs by placing them in a muslin drawstring bag. My fever broke within two hours of the bath! It was amazing how effective it was!

Finally, I always take doses of elderberry cordial when a cold or flu is setting in. Elderberry stimulates the immune system and is very anti-microbial. Also it is very tasty medicine! You can take elderberry as a tea or tincture, but I always prepare a cordial with a healthy dose of honey and brandy! Very yummy and very healing.

There are so many other herbs to take for colds and flus, but I have given you some of my favorites. May these herbs help nurse you back to total health!

I often feel that the experience of our bodies and the imbalances and or health issues we may experience are in fact messages to ourselves, our physical selves speaking to our spirit self. Getting a cold or flu is often a way of our physical body telling us we have taken on too much, we are in need of some self love and care. Everything else can go on hold. Perhaps we can view sick time as a time to practice self care. See if you can continue that practice even as you are well again.


6 comments:

  1. Elderberry is so wonderful for healing.
    I also am usually successful with a neti pot, when my sinuses are being silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this Dr ehiaguna email on a Facebook of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953. he can also help with this following sickness DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV/CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS

      Delete
  2. Elderberry is such a wonderful gift! What a magical plant!
    I couldn't agree more, neti pots are great for moving sinus congestion. So easy to use and they don't dry you out like decongestant allopathic medication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Herpes in your whole body such as fever blisters, hsv, or roofing shingles you know what it is like to stay with the pain and discomfort that herpes delivers. I don't need to tell you how awesome it would be to find something that works so that you no longer need to fear about stress or outbreak,Dr Itua herbal medicine cure my herpes in two weeks of taking is genuine and natural herbal medicine it has no side effect, The reason I'm writing this is that I promised Dr Itua I will share his herbal work to the world to see Herpes is no more a big deal.also Dr itua can as well cure the following diseases...HIV,Hsv 1/2,Hepatitis B,Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer,Leukemia Cancer,Lung Cancer,Brain CANCER,Blood Cancer,Prostate CancerDiabetes, Men/Woman Infertility
    Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Lottery Spell,Copd,Shingles,Fibroid, Fibromyalgia Liver/Kidney Inflammatory, EpilepsyHpv,Weak Erection,Wart RemoverCold Sore,  Coeliac disease,Alzheimer's diseaseArthritis,Asthma,Allergic  Asthma. Here His Contact E-Mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com
    Whatsapp Phone.+2348149277967.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this Dr ehiaguna email on a Facebook of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953. he can also help with this following sickness DIABETES CURE/EPILESY/HPV/CURE/LUPUS/HEPATITIS

    ReplyDelete