I use my intensive training, intuition, and relationship with the natural world to formulate personalized herbal blends for physical, emotional, and spiritual healing. Health is a journey and I serve as an intermediary between the healing properties of the natural world and the needs of my client to allow the path to begin.


Contact me at UnderRootHealing@gmail.com or 617-733-6872. I am available for one on one consultations in person or on the phone.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Nourishing a Balanced Immune System

That lovely chill is in the air! Autumn is officially here. I have bust out the fingerless gloves, started putting away t-shirts, and am pulling out flannel plaid button-ups. I just love this season. It is also the time to start pulling some of those immunity-building herbs from the shelf and start brewing some teas!

We tend to think that people that work with other germ-sharers in close quarters are the ones that should really get their immune systems up and running. Pre-school teachers, cashiers, etc. But people that work in indoor environments where fresh air is limited should also be sure to get those immune systems strong! Office workers need to get their tea on just as much as the rest of us.

There are those of you out there who might think you don't need to build your immune system because you just never get sick. While this may seem healthy at first glance, it is actually a vital function of a good immune system to get rid of toxins from our bodies via a runny nose, fever, or some sort of symptom of sickness. If you never get sick it means you are never fully ridding your body of toxins. Nourishing your immune system will help it work more effectively at flushing your system of pathogens and toxins.

Nourishing your immune system is about balancing your system so it will effectively rid your body of any pathogens or toxins but not be too sensitive to everything it encounters. You can take immune building throughout cold and flu season.

There are a few herbs that are great at nourishing the immune system without overstimulating it. Astragalus root is one of the best herbs for building the immune system. It is super effective at building up a strong and balanced immune system. You can take this herb everyday as a tincture, tea, or capsule. However, this is not an herb to take when you have a fever since it will make it difficult for your body to naturally try to lower your fever. I often throw astragalus into soup broths and add it into rice or quinoa as I cook it. I tend not to eat the root after it is cooked, but I know of people that do. It has a pleasant, slightly sweet taste.

All of the adaptogen herbs also help build immunity. Eleuthero, tulsi, schisandra, ginseng, and ashwagandha are all great at gently nourishing the immune system. The medicinal mushrooms are also great immune system builders: reishi, maitake, shiitake. All are wonderful herbs to take as a tincture, tea, or capsule. The medicinal mushrooms make wonderful soup broth. Add shiitake or maitake to your dishes and you have a savory, tasty, and healing dinner!

Healing Soup Broth:

Throughout the summer I tend to freeze the scraps of veggies I don't use in gallon freezer bags. Carrot greens, kale stalks, garlic and onion peels all go into the freezer. When I am ready for soup season, I take a bunch of these veggie scraps and put them in a soup pot along with a spoonful of astragalus root, a few slices of reishi and maitake mushrooms, a few garlic cloves, burdock root, and a little ginger root. I add a piece of kelp for extra mineral and vitamin richness and for some thyrid support. It is also a nice substitute for lots of salt. For some extra nourishment I might add some organic meat bones to the mix. I simmer all of this on the stove for about an hour. I then strain out the veggies and herbs and have a wonderful, tasty, and nourishing broth ready to make all kinds of awesome soups! For some extra healing and scrumptiousness, when you have finished cooking the soup and are about to serve it, add a spoonful of miso paste per bowl of soup. Slurp to your health!

2 comments:

  1. I like using turmeric to boost my immune system -- equal parts turmeric and honey when I'm feeling like I'm coming on with something usually helps. Tulsi is one of my favorites, too.

    I notice that I don't usually get sick, but I do get warm, not quite a fever but almost. That's how I know I'm fighting something off and need to rest and drink some mushroom tea.

    I love how informative and helpful (and timely!) your posts are. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Tumeric is also awesome, especially when you feel something coming on.

    I'm so glad you have enjoyed reading! :)

    ReplyDelete