I use my intensive training, intuition, and relationship with the natural world to formulate personalized herbal blends for physical, emotional, and spiritual healing. Health is a journey and I serve as an intermediary between the healing properties of the natural world and the needs of my client to allow the path to begin.


Contact me at UnderRootHealing@gmail.com or 617-733-6872. I am available for one on one consultations in person or on the phone.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

An Invitation to Dream: A Message from Mugwort


There are no accidental weeds. We tend to think of weeds as inevitable nuisance that mucks up our efforts to garden and have a pure grassy lawn. However, I happen to think that certain weeds intentionally grace our spaces. On several occasions I have given someone an herb which I feel is best for their condition and then later learn that that particular plant is growing all over their backyard. We should pay attention to the weeds that surround us. Notice even the plants in the cracks of your driveway...there is a purpose to their presence.

I happen to find invasive weeds somewhat interesting. I know that most people cringe at this because it means a loss of native plants and habitat. However, lots of the invasive plants we have in the U.S. now are also incredible medicine for some of our most noxious diseases, including lyme disease and cancer (japanese knotweed is a good example). One of my teachers often says that it takes an invasive plant to counter an invasive disease.

One plant that I am particularly drawn to is mugwort. It is commonly viewed as an invasive plant. You certainly see it everywhere: lining the highway, growing in between the cracks of sidewalks, taking over abandoned city lots, spreading through open meadow areas. However, I feel that mugwort has some purpose to its wild proliferation.

Mugwort is most used as a women's herb. It's silvery underside is a signature that mimics the light of the moon, indicating it's importance to women. It is an emmenagogue so it can help bring on a delayed or irregular period. It can alleviate cramps and other symptoms of PMS.

One of the most common uses of mugwort is as a sleeping herb. It is known to bring on dreams and help you remember them. Sometimes when mugwort is growing I will harvest a little and place it under my pillow when I sleep. I always have the most vivid and memorable dreams! Mugwort can also be used as a rather magical smudge. There is something quite other-worldly about this plant.

We live in a very literal, and rather yang/masculine society. Perhaps mugwort is here to simply ask us to step out of that. Mugwort is inviting us to let go and allow a more yin side to flourish. Mugwort wants us to dream, to step into our subconscious selves, and to remember that journey when we awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment